Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hotel Vandals

We're staying in a hotel at the moment, but the hotel in my dream was slightly different. It was far nicer than the one we're actually in – dang. Kane and I had gone to some party in the hotel lobby and had returned to our room late. It was 1am and we were just turning in for bed, reading our books. That's when I heard a shuffle outside our door and someone trying to get in with a key card.

It sounded like a family, children and all. Their key cards weren't working, which I was thankful for. Kane and I glanced at each other and then I went to answer the subsequent knocking at the door. When I opened the door, a woman holding a small girl, a man, and a small boy barged in the room in a big fumble of confusion and talking. I stared, confused, at them and asked them what they were doing. They rushed into the bathroom at the back of the room, insisting this was their room. I assured them it was not, but they insisted. I didn't exactly know what do to.

I looked at Kane and he told them, no, this was not their room or else their key cards would have worked. This was room 211, perhaps they had read the numbers wrong. They were insisting still as they fumbled around our room. It was odd with the kids there because we didn't exactly want to start a confrontation with children around. I don't remember if I just waited until they left or if I ran straight to the reception desk for help, but when I arrived at reception and told the woman there what had happened, she assured me that the family were thieves.

I was shocked. She said that this happens often. They steal your valuables while you're confused as they rush in. The woman handed me something and told me that the authorities had retrieved this from what the family had taken from us: it was a light brown bar of soap shaped like a grand piano, still shrink wrapped. I was relieved that this was all they were able to acquire from our bathroom. Then she informed me that they probably also stole more stuff but they weren't able to retrieve it. I replayed their steps around our room in my head and wondered if they got my wallet or our passports.

I felt really stupid for falling for some con; I tend to be very cautious about things like that and am typically very good at reading people. It was very odd and alarming.

No comments:

Post a Comment