Saturday, September 5, 2009

Thanksgiving Horrors

Thanksgiving has become a trying time for my family, I will admit. My aunt used to do all the cooking but she has recently come into bad health and is no longer able. Everyone else in the family refuses to go out to dinner for reasons that I don't understand at all. They want a home cooked meal, which I can understand, but refuse to go out on pain of not seeing each other for the holiday. It baffles me.

Anyway, so the last few Thanksgivings have been a bit of a battle: the people who want a nice dinner out just to spend time together even if it's not over a perfectly home-cooked meal, versus the people who refuse to eat anything but 6 tons of home-made turkey, potatoes, yams, etc. And apparently my anxiety about it has bled into my dreams.

In my dream from about a week ago, I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner. In real life I have never done anything of the sort and would certainly not attempt to for my highly expectant family for my first try. I don't even eat meat for goodness sake! But, despite this, I found myself slaving away in the kitchen (of my mom's house) preparing this epic meal for my family.

I was making a turkey even though I don't know how. Everyone was already there which meant that I was supposed to be further along than I was. I was sweating. I was stressed. My uncle Jeff was complaining that I didn't have enough appetizers out on the table for them to eat. Then I realized that I had forgotten to buy potatoes and yams. The irony is that I had forgotten to buy these staple foods because I had focused my energy on getting good appetizers, which apparently weren't good enough.

So I had to rush out to get potatoes and yams even though I was woefully behind schedule. No one was helping me. As I dashed out the door, my mom laughed at me telling me that she used to even do all this (correctly) and serve venison for Thanksgiving. I have no idea what she was talking about, we've never had venison.

No comments:

Post a Comment