Saturday, January 9, 2010

Star Trek Convention & The Wrong Shower

I was at a sleepover at John Paul's house down the street, all ready to go to the Star Trek Convention the following day. There were about half a dozen other girls at the sleepover, I have no idea where John Paul or any other of the folks who actually lived there were.

Also at the party were two kids who used to live across the street: Kevin and Chris W. In real life, they'd now be the same ages as my sister and me, but in the dream Chris was only 6. I asked Kevin how it was that I remember Chris being older than that, but he wasn't sure.

When a peppy little blond girl knocked on the door to see if we were all ready in the morning, waking most of us up, I realized we were late to the convention. I told the girl to go on without us; we'd meet her there after we all got ready.

I jumped up to take a really quick shower and ran to the master bedroom to snag one before they were all taken. For some reason I didn't want to use the main master bedroom shower and instead was happy to find another shower behind a random door in the master bedroom. The space this "extra" bathroom was in was huge, and seemed to connect to a whole other apartment.

I started up the shower and hopped in just as a man walked in: apparently it was a whole other apartment attached to the main house and I was in his shower. Awkward. I showered as fast as I could, somehow knocking the shower curtain into the tub in the process. I then jumped out (wrapping myself in my own towel, I had imposed quite enough on these strangers) and re-assembled the shower with many apologies to the tenants.

Just as I finished fixing up the shower, it turned into a bed that I was making (and I was suddenly dressed), and the man's mom came in thinking I was the maid getting the room ready for her. So I played along, starting to fake a Mexican accent, but realizing that my blond hair would probably give me away, so I switched to a sort of unidentified Nordic accent. Because apparently maids cannot be native of the country they are in (and incidentally, these people were Australian).

After that fiasco, I later found myself at the Star Trek Convention with my Dad. Who knows what happened to those other girls at the sleep over, they looked way too cool to appear at a ST Convention anyway. We walked through the area with all the booths selling goods, then found the auditoriums where the speakers are. I realized too late that we had gotten there in the middle of the day and we probably missed one of the key speakers (William Shatner and Patrick Stewart are there this year; we're going in real life at the end of the month).

My friend from Cal Poly, Andrew Z., was waiting for me outside the auditorium for some reason, so I met up with him and we tried to figure out what we had missed. Apparently Patrick Stewart was on right then, but I knew that there would be no good seats left, and we had missed William Shatner earlier in the day. Dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment