Thursday, October 8, 2009

Amputee

This dream has faded a bit (see comic strip on previous entry) but it was pretty serious stuff while it was happening. For starters, it took place a few years ago when I was leaving Thom Hume's office to move to Australia. In real life, I had tried to wrap up any jobs I was working on and/or pass them on to someone else, and generally clean up the office before going. In my dream, Leslie Ronsin was replacing me at work and I was introducing her to everyone and trying to get her started at the office.

I met her in the parking lot and for some reason Anthony, a previous employee at Thom's, was also there. He was also starting work there again and I wondered why. I introduced Leslie to him and it was a bit awkward. Then, I think there was some sort of explosion or something and I was thinking that this was not a good first day of work for Leslie. But then the dream flipped elsewhere.

I had seen Thom come in earlier that morning and he was actually the last one into the office, which was not normal. I noticed he was walking weird and looked very somber. After the explosion happened, everyone else left so I went down some stairs into Thom's office (though it wasn't really Thom's office from real life) and found him sitting on a twin bed looking very distraught. His left leg had been amputated from the knee down.

He had been really upset about having to have the leg removed and hadn't told anyone about it beforehand (except family or whatever). He was very depressed about it and talking about "not being able to go on", etc. I sat down with him and tried to cheer him up. I told him to think about his kids and how they need him and that seemed to help a little bit.

He walked over to the kitchenette in the next room and started fiddling around saying how useless he was now. But all the things he was demonstrating (taking dishes down from high shelves, making food, etc) were things you do with your hands, so I was wondering what the problem was. I told him he still had both hands and was perfectly useful for most things, he just couldn't run anymore. I also realized that he probably couldn't surf, but I didn't point that out (he's big on surfing).

There was no resolution to the dream but it was very realistic and (though a bit boring) very emotional. Glad Thom still has both legs in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment