Monday, October 26, 2009

Australia High School Reunion

So, Australia. And high school. Nope, those didn't happen together, did they. Well, they did in my dream; I was in Australia for my high school reunion.

Kane and I had traveled back to Australia for some reason but didn't know where we should go since we've pretty much seen the whole continent in our previous travels. We were sort of hovering over the whole country, like it was a map, trying to decide where we should land. The conversation went something like, "Should we go over here?", "No, we've already seen that and I don't really need to see it again". It was like landing in hot coals rather than a vacation, which is funny because in reality I'd be more than happy to explore the place more.

We decided to land in Adelaide since that was one of the cities we never visited in our time there. People say there's not much there which is why we didn't make the effort, but why not go there in dream land? We set down (sort of like flying in an airplane, sort of like Superman) in Adelaide and I proceeded to attend my high school reunion.

Why is my high school reunion in Australia? Why anything. It's my stupid dream.

The reunion was at some sort of restaurant or banquet hall that was quite nice with dark carpet, ambient lighting, tables, chairs, etc. There were people milling around and I wasn't particularly keen to talk to anyone, nor did I really recognize anyone. I was walking around looking for some of my friends when Casey Meirovitz approached me. We talked a bit and it really seemed like he was trying to hit on me, which I would have been quite happy about ten years ago, but now it just seemed sort of creepy.

I dodged away from him just in time for the party to be breaking up. The crowd dispersed quickly and I was left with one guy who I didn't know even went to my high school. He had apparently had no friends in school and didn't have many now. I chatted to him a bit and realized that he was actually quite funny and nice, but he was just such a huge nerd that no one had ever taken him seriously.

I was going to sign his yearbook (no idea why I was signing a yearbook) to say something like, "You're really cool; don't give up on the ladies yet" (encouraging, I know), and for some reason I couldn't write the last part of the sentence. Not sure if my pen ran out or what, but I was dream-stuck in a dream-weird sort of way.

After the party was over I suddenly became really stressed because I realized that I was in Adelaide and that I should be in Melbourne hanging out with our friends Marc and Alana. We only had a couple days left in Australia and now we weren't going to have much time to see them (who knows why we didn't think of this before coming to stupid Adelaide). I checked the train schedule and there were one or two trains a day leaving for Melbourne, but the trip took like 4 hours and I was quite upset by this for some reason.

I started sort of hyperventilating because of this whole thing, and I can't be sure that my breathing in real life wasn't affected. I was really, really upset that I might not get over to Melbourne in time to see Marc and Alana and go with them to some show on the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. i laughed out loud when i read this. and the new girl sitting next to me looked at me like i might be sort of weird. i think it was totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete