Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stupid Stretchy Packets

Last night I couldn't fall asleep right away, which does not happen very often. Kane was sawing logs next to me while I tossed and turned. As I contemplated the merits of salamanders versus lizards, Kane suddenly started chuckling. He laughed and started to roll over toward me. I asked him what he was laughing about, knowing he was asleep. His response, between light laughter, was "Stupid, stretchy packets".

If I needed confirmation that he was asleep, that was it. Oh yes, the packets. And their stupid stretchiness. Clearly unconscious. I asked him, "What about them?" and he mumbled something about an item in his video game, then laughed some more. His laughing made me laugh. Then he apparently woke up more because he told me to shut up and stop making fun of him. Indeed.

The effort I had to expend to remember the phrase "stupid stretchy packets" in the morning was tremendous. Word associations, visual images, and just plain repeating the words over and over and over. But it worked and it lived in my brain to be blogged about in the morning. I know you're thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment