Monday, March 1, 2010

Missed Flight

So maybe I am more nervous about our upcoming trip than I feel. Now I am, at least, after this dream. I had a dream that Kane and I had a trip to Europe planned before our Japan trip. Nevermind that our Japan trip is in 2 days; somehow we were squeezing a Europe trip in there.

I keep saying how we haven't prepared much for Japan, but in the dream we hadn't prepared at all for Europe. I'm not even sure we packed. We just arrived at the airport and were going. I was looking at our itinerary and we were flying direct to Stockholm. Our hotel bookings, however, had us booked somewhere else the first night (Scotland?) which was not within a reasonable distance of our arrival destination. I saw that we had all of our hotels booked, but that they weren't going to work because we couldn't get to the first one on time, so they'd all be messed up. I was wondering if I should call them all or if we should try to catch another flight once we got to Stockholm to try to salvage the reservations.

We boarded the plane and it started to take off. We took a sharp turn and I could see the ground out of my window. I hate when they do that. Then I saw something fall off the plane down to the ground. Apparently the captain had meant to drop whatever it was, but we were still on our way down fast after losing it. We crashed with nothing more than a thud, which surprised me. We weren't going anywhere anytime soon.

They de-boarded us and showed us to a temporary camp area with little cabins. I'm not sure why I couldn't just go home or stay in a hotel, but we were in the cabins. All I wanted to do was call Alana to tell her that our plans were going to be all messed up now (mixing the fake Europe trip with the real Japan trip now) and figure out how we were going to meet. There was no internet and I didn't have her phone number.

I walked around our little encampment area at dusk and had a look at all the food stalls they had. It was sort of like a tiny county fair with all the hot dog stands and people selling jewelry and stuff. It was very informal, but I guess some of the stuff was free for us since we were still waiting for another flight. I asked for an orange juice and the man handed me a sangria. So much for service. I drank it anyway.

I wanted to ask how long it would be until we could go, but I didn't want to bother the staff since I'm sure everyone else had already asked. I needed a bathroom and followed a sign to one under a nearby overpass. It was dark and the toilets were hollowed out chairs in rows up on pedestals. Some were kitchen chairs, some recliners, etc. No doors. I had to pee badly though, so I went anyway (but didn't go in real life, thank goodness). The roll of toilet paper was a roll of tape; I had to ask someone to grab me some real toilet paper from another chair.

Then my grandpa came up and yelled at me for wandering off alone. It was night time and I had gone to the overpass bathroom alone, and that wasn't safe. I said sorry and let him take me back to the camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment