Sunday, July 12, 2009

Work Exercise Day

Dreamed Saturday Night July 11

Yep, I had two dreams this night. Well, probably more, but two memorable ones. I went back to sleep after Murderers, below, and had another vivid dream straight after. That's the way you do it right there.

This time I was back at work at my Australian engineering firm, BHS, and I was on site at a job with my boss, David. I don't remember it all now, but we were inspecting the concrete piers and columns at this particular site and, though I was having my classic eyelids-constantly-falling-shut affliction, I noticed a huge blunder by the builder.

To summarize using engineering jargon (sorry): the drilled piers were installed and the columns were poured but were done separately, like precast elements. The columns were supposed to sit directly above the piers with continuous vertical reinforcement, but the contractor was instead just setting the precast columns on top of the piles. Without the continuous reinforcement the columns would have no lateral capacity at all and, basically, this was a massive mistake that we needed to call attention to.

I was trying to tell my boss David about it but he was just walking away obviously trying to overlook the error (which is very unlike him, I might add). Anyway, I followed him into the building trying to talk to him about it, but it was apparently exercise day at work. A few times when we worked at BHS (in real life) we played company basketball at lunch with the six or so of us who would play. It was fun.

So we were supposed to get dressed for basketball or swimming or some sport to play together. Alicia was there and she was all nervous about playing sports with us, which I found odd since she posts to an exercise-based blog almost daily (which I read) and I would think she would love to play random team sports. Nevermind that I have no idea why she was at my engineering company in Australia. Shaun O'neil was also there to hang out and play with us. No idea why completely random people end up all smooshed together in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment