Friday, April 24, 2009

Magnets on Mars

Dreamed: Thursday Night April 23

I knew the spaceman had affected me in some profound subliminal way. He was there, on the corner of Swanston and Bourke, standing on a pedestal at 9pm on a Thursday. I was fascinated by his glowing necklaces and space-noise-making instrument that must have been something like a theremin. He played away on the cold, clear night: space noises to slow, deliberate techno music. I wondered if he enjoyed his profession/hobby.

And then I find myself on Mars in my dream that night. How creative. I did, however, add a little Angie tinge to it: Alana and I were on our way home from our Mars vacation and were passing through the gift shop on the way out (yes, capitalism exists on Mars too). I remembered my robust souvenir collection on the fridge at home and decide that I must purchase a magnet as a memento of our trip. I view the magnet selection and am dismayed at the offerings. None of them even show the Mars landscape! They show stupid things that are unrelated; I can remember one with a blurry picture of a cactus on it. There aren't cacti on Mars!

So I thought, ok, let's get a different keepsake. I saw some sort of primitive playing cards in a glass case which were supposed to be some sort of artifact from early Mars history or something. I thought that sounded cool and went to ask someone to open the case. When I came back to select my card, the one I wanted was gone; someone else had purchased it. It was the only cheap one, so I was pissed (it was $37 - the others were all over $100). I'm not sure how this crisis was solved, but Alana was very patient through all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment