Saturday, December 11, 2010

Coco and a House in the Woods

I was at a house in the woods; I think I had just moved there. I was not happy about it. The town was nearby, but everything was very rustic and there was dark forest all around the house. One side looked out onto a meadow in a valley, sort of like Yosemite, and on another side there was a densely forested hill.

The house was sort of a log cabin-type place. There were two pools in the house right in the main living room area, one cool water, one a hot tub. And they weren't standard below-ground pools, they were more like aquariums with clear plexi-glass sides. They were both square and right next to each other each maybe five feet deep and up against one wall.

Our dog from when I was a teenager was there, Coco. She jumped in the cold pool, which is so Coco. I watched her and she sank to the bottom, seemingly sniffing around the edges of the tank though I did realize after a while that she couldn't possibly be doing that. She would push off the bottom and propel herself to the surface every few seconds to grab a breath of air.

As I watched her, I realized she wasn't able to actually get enough air; she was to the surface but couldn't hold herself there long enough to take a breath. She was drowning. I was going to have to jump in a pull her out. I pulled my pants off (but kept my undies on because I decided it was ok to just get them wet rather than be wholly indecent in the pool) and jumped in. I grabbed her around her middle and hauled her up to the surface.

I pushed her over the edge and onto the platform next to the pool where she could get back down to the floor. The problem was that she was sort of stupid and was going to keep jumping back in the pool. We needed a fence around the pool and we needed it immediately. For some reason it didn't occur to me to just lock her in another room where she couldn't get to the pool, so I was just keeping an eagle-eyed watch over her until we could get a gate installed.

As a disjointed part of this dream, I opened a door of the cabin to look out on the meadow and saw a bear charging toward me. It was white and huge and about 100 feet away. I was terrified and slammed the door. Looking through the window I saw the bear turn brown as it ran toward the house, then run by the house, get smaller, and jump onto the back of a motorcycle. It was actually a man in a bear suit just playing around. I wondered what was wrong with the people in this town.

I also noticed, much to my surprise and delight that a tram stop was right outside our house (not on the meadow or the forest side, but one of the other sides of the house). It went straight into town which was awesome. I wasn't sure why such a small mountain town had a tram running through it, but thought that I might like this place better now that it seemed a bit more modern and urban.

No comments:

Post a Comment